All of us, at some point or the other, must have heard or seen something about Roulette. Even though it’s not like card games which require a certain amount of skill on the players part. They still attract a pretty large crowd at any casino. The game has simple rules. You bet on a particular number, or a color, or a range of numbers, or on the fact that whether the outcome would be odd or even. A lot of attempts have been made to figure out a strategy to win at roulette, but none have been successful so far. The game has continued being popular for a long time now, and will do so for some time to come.
Compared to most other games, the history of roulette is not that old. But it is indeed full of changes over the course of past 200 years. The earliest version of roulette was designed by Blaise Pascal. Pascal was looking to make the perpetual motion machine, which led to the formation of roulette wheel. The roulette wheel of today is believed to be an amalgamation of many different games. Some of them are English games like Roly-Poly and Ace of Hearts.
In the 19th century, the game spread through Europe and became very popular. It was played on a Roulette wheel with only a single 0. In America too it attained great popularity but was played with a wheel with a 0 and a 00. Till the mid twentieth century, the game was played only in a few select casinos. But as soon as casinos started mushrooming, the game became popular and is now played in hundreds of casinos all over the world and is offered on online casinos as well.
Before you begin playing, you must buy roulette chips. These chips are different then normal casino chips because each player gets different colored chips. These chips cannot be used anywhere else in the casino, and you must cash them before leaving the table. As you cannot cash in on the roulette chips, so they are changed to regular casino chips when you leave. After that, you have to make bets based upon the table limits, that is, the maximum and the minimum you can bet. You have two types of bets available, the outside be and the inside bet. You cannot add the two bets, which means if the minimum bet is $10, then you can’t place a $4 outside bet and a $6 inside bet. Players can continue to bet even if the wheel has been spun. But once the dealer says no more bets then no more bets can be placed.
After the wheel stops spinning, the dealer will place a marker on the winning number. While this marker is on the table no one can collect, place or remove any bets on the table. The losing chips are raked out, payouts are made to the winners, and the marker is removed. The game begins again.
Types of Bets
Roulette is available at Mayflower Casino and there are two types of bets possible in a game of roulette and both these categories offer different bets to the player. Let us first see the inside bets.
- A straight up bet is one that is made only on one number. As you can imagine this is the most improbable bet but also has a 35 times payout.
- Split bet is made on two consecutive numbers on the table layout. This bet is made by simply placing the chip on the line between the two numbers.
- Street bet is also called a row bet or a line bet. This bet is made by placing the chips on the line separating the inside and outside region.
- Basket bet is one where you place your chips in between; zero, double zero, 1, 2 and 3. It is a five number bet.
- Double street bet is one in which you place your chip in the same way as a street bet, but you will have to let the chip touch the row above or below it. So basically, you are wagering on 6 numbers. The payout is 5:1
Apart from the inside bets, you can make outside bets as well which are listed below:
- You can bet on the color red or black. If you win you are paid 1:1. You might think that this is an even bet, but you need to keep in mind that there are two green numbers as well, and you cannot bet on green.
- You can bet on odd or even. If you win you get paid at 1:1 but again the 0 and the 00 are not counted as either odd or even.
- You can bet on low numbers or high numbers. Low number are from 1to 18 and high numbers are from 19 to 36. Again the payout is 1:1
- You can make a first, second, or a third dozen bet. Which means you will be betting on numbers 1 to 12, 13 to 24 or 25 to 36. It pays 2:1
- There is the column bet, where you are again wagering on 12 numbers. But this time the numbers belong to any of the three vertical columns. It pays 2:1
Tips for the Game
You need to understand that roulette is a game purely based on chance. There is no strategy which can increase or ensure your chance of winning. The only thing you can do is try and cover as many numbers as possible with minimum possible bets. This still does not guarantee a win but increases your time at the table (called comp time). It also exposes your money to the house edge for a smaller amount of time. If you are at the table for longer, you add to your comp time. After a certain amount of comp time, most of the casinos offer the players some sort of rewards.